| Hawaiian Recipe Index |
| Free Recipes
- 6 - 8 lb pork butt
- 1 tbsp liquid smoke
- 2½ tbsp Hawaiian or kosher salt
- ti leaves (see cooks note )
Preparation & Cooking Instructions :
- Although this dish is generally cooked in an imu (an underground oven),
this recipe has been adapted for the oven.
- Preheat oven to 500ºF.
- Make light incisions in the roast. Rub with 1-½ tbsp salt
and liquid smoke. Wrap roast in ti leaves and then securely in foil,
- Place in a shallow roasting pan and bake at 500ºF for 30 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 400ºF and bake for a further 4½ hours.
- After baking, shred pork and sprinkle with remaining salt. Discard
used ti leaves
- Serve mounded on a platter covered with a thin layer of ti leaves
or fresh spinach.
- Cooks note : Ti leaves may be available from a local florist, but
if not, they can be replaced with banana leaves or fresh spinach leaves.